Become an Educator
This program is ON HOLD due to COVID-19. We are unable to train new educators while we are offering virtual education programs. Please check back or email us with your future interest.
Education Volunteer Program
Keep history alive by working with school children and sharing the story of the Kalmar Nyckel.
Our education program for school children is taught by trained volunteer educators who present exciting, interactive material at stations including sail handling, blacksmithing, the colony of New Sweden, ship's cannons, trade and economics, 17th-century navigation, life at sea, mechanical advantage, and history.
Field trips include both ship and shore programs. School children visit us for education sails onboard the ship as well as education stations in the maritime center and shipyard campus. Full day and half-day programs may include a combination of sailing and land-based activities.
Volunteers are welcome to join as educators. New volunteer educators will be paired up with experienced volunteers for on-the-job training right from the start.
If you are interested in the operations of the ship, consider signing up for our crew training to join the sailing crew (learn more). Many of our volunteer crew members are also active educators. For more information contact David.Livingstone@KalmarNyckel.org.
1) Complete our volunteer application, and send it to the Attn: Ann Godley, Kalmar Nyckel Foundation, 1124 East 7th Street, Wilmington, DE 19801
2) Join our random drug testing program at your expense ($42.50). Click here to register. Once you have registered please contact our office: Volunteer@KalmarNyckel.org. We will then send you the necessary drug testing form. IF YOU HAVE SIGNED UP FOR ONE OF OUR CREW TRAINING SESSIONS, THE DRUG TESTING CHARGE ($42.50) IS INCLUDED IN YOUR REGISTRATION FEE ... NO NEED TO CLICK HERE.
3) Our Youth Protection Policy requires a background check for all volunteers and staff. This too is at your expense ($18.82) and must be completed before you start volunteering. Submit your on-line background check and use the password KalmarNyckel. Follow the link when you are at a computer with a printer. Be sure to enter your e-mail address in the payment window, and click all the way until it says "submit." Then print out the last page and bring or mail it to Ann Godley in our office for our records. (KNF, Attn: Ann Godley, 1124 E 7th St, Wilmington, DE 19801)
4) Questions? Please contact David Livingstone, Assistant Director of Education:
5) Learn more about the Kalmar Nyckel story before your first training by reading our FREE on-line Guidebook.
Did you know: That Kalmar Nyckel has 8 miles of rigging?